Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Two Months Old

Tomorrow Levi and Madelynn will be two months old. I can't believe how quickly they are growing! I was reading an article about the first year of growth milestones in Parents Magazine the other day and started to get teary-eyed at the thought of how quick it is going to go. Here is a recap of the past two months.
Honestly its been quite a blur as I'm sure you can imagine. We had the twin as a scheduled c-section on May 2. It was such a different experience then the last two. Not having to experience contractions and wondering how long I will be in labor.
The epidural was quite the experience. It made me so nauseous and uncomfortable. Laying on the table and having the doctor take the babies out was crazy as well. I tried to see the twins as they were "delivered" but it was hard to look around as it made me nauseous as well. It went pretty quickly and we were soon back in the room where I was finally able to nurse and hold them.
My dear mother was with us the first three weeks, which was a tremendous help in letting Curtis and I bond with the twins while she kept the toddlers happy. I was also able to rest a lot. For having two toddlers and two newborn twins I was fairly well rested. I appreciated this as I was able to really focus on bonding with the twins. And I still am!
A little about each one.
We will start with Levi- He is my little snuggler. Every time I pick him up her snuggles in, it melts my heart. He is a very calm and sweet baby. Curtis and I call him our angle baby, as he doesn't fuss too much and is an amazing sleeper! He pulled a 10 hour stretch one night around a month old. I was a happy mama.
Levi gave us a little smirk at one month old and loves smiling now. He likes laying on his play mat and smiling at himself in the mirror. Oh, I love that little boy.
Madelynn is a lot like her older brother Samuel (not to compare). Her traits and actions remind us so much of Samuel when he was a newborn. She resembles him too. She is a happy baby and loves to smile too.
Madelynn is very active and strong. She can hold her head up well already and loves looking around.
Both Levi and Madelynn are sleeping at least a 6 hour stretch each night. When they are swaddled they will both lay down with their binkies and good to sleep on their own. Neither Sam or Josie did this. However, I didn't try much as I wanted to hold them. With twins and two toddlers I can't hold these guys as much. Thats been hard but I try and give them cuddles and love as much as possible.
I've been able to pull of nursing the twins for the first two months. When they hit their growth spurts I started supplementing with formula because they would suck me dry and still want more. This was a hard mental adjustment. I wanted to solely nurse as long as I could. Another instance of way this pregnancy has really stretched me and made me be more flexible in how I "parent".
So far things are going well. There of course has been some adjustment and hesitation. I'll write more about that later.
Sorry for the lack of pictures. Gotta head home to take the toddlers to the pool!!


No comments: